This series contains the files of the Animal Science Department of Clemson University. The series contains correspondence, memoranda, general files, activity reports, extension newsletters, leaflets and proceedings, projects, and publications. The files are arranged alphabetically by topic.
The bulk of the files deal with the correspondence of the department head, R. F. Wheeler, and departmental correspondence of professors related to extension work in the area of animal science.
In correspondence files (1975-1985) of Luther P. Anderson, Dean of the College of Agriculture, are references to the Agricultural Committee; the move into Barre Hall (1975); problems with space budget cuts; organization of the Rodeo Club (1982);and funding of the multi-purpose arena.
J.R. Diehl, professor, has correspondence files (1979-1985) containing information on the proposed swine research facility (July 1981); renovation of existing farrowing facilities in 1982, protocol, projects and research. Correspondence pertaining to the Edisto Experiment Station includes calving records, copies of cattle registration certificates, performance and testing charts, projects, weight reports and land use.
In the correspondence files of Lowell T. Frobish, department head, can be found the "Hortplan 80's Schedule" to develop long term department plans (June 1982); annual reports of the S.C. Agricultural Experiment Station; items such as the proposed environment Research Center, request for land from Fants Grove Baptist Church, and the critical needs of the Meats Lab.
The Block and Bridle Club is often mentioned in the correspondence of Dale Handlin since he served as national president. The Clemson University Block and Bridle Club was organized in 1932 and received its present name in 1948 when it was admitted into the National Block and Bridle. The purpose of the club is to further the social, cultural, and scholastic activities of students majoring in Animal Science and other related fields of study. In 1968 the chapter became a member of the American Society of Animal Science. Other subjects found in the files of Dale Handlin are swine breeding and production, litter records, projects, publications, and research.
The most extensive correspondence files are that of the department head, R. F. Wheeler. His correspondence deals with departmental instruction, research, and extension work; facilities, disease, feeding, and slaughter of livestock.
The Animal Science Department, along with the Cooperative Extension Service and the S. C. Agricultural Experiment Station, published a number of bulletins, circulars, leaflets, newsletters, and conference proceedings. Limited issues of these publications may be found in this series.
Clemson University's Animal Science Department is directly concerned with Extension, Research and Teaching pertaining to beef cattle, horses, sheep and swine industry in the state. The Animal Science Extension provides educational programs for adults and youth throughout the state with livestock enterprises. Major areas of emphasis are in breeding, feeding, management, and marketing. To promote the beef, horse and swine industries there are demonstrations, county producer meetings, field days, breed associations, and state commodity organizations. Communication is generally through county extension agents, meetings and news articles.
Research programs in Animal Science have been in the areas of animal breeding, beef cattle, swine and horse nutrition, reproduction, forage systems for beef cattle, and meats. Most research in the department is financed from state and federal funds allocated through the South Carolina Agricultural Experiment Station. Some faculty members have received grants from industry for specific research projects. Research findings are published in research series, bulletins, abstracts, and journal articles.
An animal husbandry division was established at Clemson Agricultural College in 1897. After January 1, 1898, there was a separation of the cattle into a dairy division and a division of animal science. The degree offered at that time was a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture. It was not until 1962 that a degree was offered in Animal Science. During the early 1900s as the curriculum was restructured, the program was called Agriculture and Animal Industry (or Husbandry) and also Dairying and Animal Husbandry. In 1918 Dairy Husbandry became a separate division. In 1934 the college changed from five departments to six schools and so the Division of Animal Husbandry became the Department of Animal Science. In 1951, when a graduate school was organized at Clemson College, graduate level courses were offered in Animal Husbandry. The following chronology shows changes within the Agriculture Department.
1897-1934 Division of Animal Husbandry, Department of Agriculture
1934-1965 Department of Animal Science, School of Agriculture
1966-1971 Department of Animal Science, College of Agriculture & Biological Sciences
1972-1995 Department of Animal Science, College of Agricultural Sciences
1996-Department of Animal, Dairy and Veterinary Sciences; School of Animal, Biomedical, and Biological Sciences; College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Life Sciences
Lawrence V. Starkey was named department head in 1951 and served until Richard F. Wheeler became head in 1956. When Dr. Wheeler retired in 1980, D. L. Cross became acting head until L. T. Frobish was appointed head in July 1981. Charles W. (Bill) Foley became department head in 1988 and is currently serving in that position. The Bachelor of Science degree program in Animal Industries includes the Animal, Dairy and Veterinary Sciences curriculum. In addition to the general education requirements of the university, there are three areas of emphasis: Business and Production, Preveterinary and Science, and Meat and Dairy Foods. For additional information on the Animal Science curricula, consult the Clemson University Undergraduate Announcements.
The Animal Science Department operates a modern swine center, a combined horse and sheep center, a bull test station, a steer feeding facility, and the T. E. Garrison livestock arena which opened in 1991.
11 Cubic Feet (including 1 certificate, 1 flier, 3 posters, 2 maps, 40 slides, 8 photographs)
Animal Science Department. The files were transmitted through the Records Management Center to the University Archives in 1988 (Accession 88-111) and in 1990 (Accession 90-33).
The following items have been separated from this collection and added to Series 100, Clemson University Photographs:
39 color slides, 1963-1967 Edisto Experiment Station, showing cattle, fencing, pastures, buildings, and feeding lots
1 black & white slide listing contents of ration
1. Beef Rib-eye Steak, 5x7
2. Boneless Canned ham, 5x7
3. Cherry-glazed ham slice, 5x7
4. Corned Beef, 5x7
5. Pork Loin Roll, 5x7
6. Porkabobs Italienne, 5x7
7. Stewing Beef, 5x7
8. Summertime and Spareribs, 5x7
Linda Ferry, LTA, Adraine Jackson, LTA, Allison Kaylor, student assistant, 1995
The conversion of this finding aid to Encoded Archival Description format was made possible with a grant from the South Carolina State Historical Records Advisory Board in 2009-2010. The finding aid was prepared for encoding by Kristi Roberts.
Part of the Clemson University Libraries Special Collections and Archives Repository