Skip to main content

College of Architecture, Office of the Dean

Identifier: Series-0083

Scope and Content Note

This series contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes of meetings, oral history transcripts, audio cassettes, photographs, publications, and slides. The records were generated by the Deans of the Department of Architecture, the School of Architecture, and the College of Architecture. The material in the collection covers the period 1940-1988, with most of the collection dating from 1968-1983.

Correspondence files comprise the bulk of the series. Major correspondents include Deans Harlan E. McClure, Paul David Pearson, and Acting Dean Lamar H. Brown. Not included in this series are the files of James Frazier Barker who became dean in 1986. Other files document various activities of the departments within the college, land use and city regional planning projects in South Carolina, Lee Hall addition, and the twenty-fifth anniversary celebration of the 1958 founding of the School of Architecture. The departments represented include Architectural Studies, Building Science, City and Regional Planning, History and Visual Studies, and Planning Studies.

The folders are arranged chronologically by Dean and within this arrangement alphabetically by subject.


  • 1940 - 1988
  • 1968 - 1983


Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on use and access.

Historical Sketch

Clemson Architectural Foundation

1956 Formation of Clemson Architectural Foundation

Department Heads/Deans

1933-1948 Rudolph E. Lee, Head

1948-1954 John Hobart Gates, Head

1955-1958 Harlan E. McClure, Head

1958-1984 Harlan E. McClure, Dean

1984 Lamar H. Brown-acting Dean

1984-1986 Paul David Pearson, Dean

1986-1999 James Frazier Barker, Dean


1912 Department of Engineering offers degree program in architectural engineering

1933 Department of Architecture

1958 School of Architecture established July 1

1971 College of Architecture created


1973 Charles E. Daniel Center for Building Research and Urban Studies [Genoa, Italy]

1988 Clemson University College of Architecture Center at the College of Charleston [Charleston, SC]


6.65 Cubic Feet (consisting mainly of folders, 203 photographs, 220 slides, 34 audio cassettes, 1 audio compact disc, 129 posters, 3 scrapbooks, and oversize material)

Language of Materials



This series contains some of the material/records produced by the College of Architecture


Acquired From

The following files were received as accessions: 86-108, 89-72, 89-239, 89-243A, 93-49, 94-126, 95-9, 00-36, 00-168, 03-139, 05-73

The materials in this collection were created by the Office of the Dean of the College of Architecture.

Processing Information

These records were processed by student assistants Tyler Rex, Chris Beam, Megan Stires, Marsha Medelberg and archivists Stephanie Adams and Linda Ferry. The finding aid was completed in July 2004 and revised in August 2007 with the addition of 3 cassette tapes and 1 audio compact disc. Dennis Harrison made minor revisions to the container list in September 2010.

The conversion of this finding aid to Encoded Archival Description format was made possible with a grant from the South Carolina State Historical Records Advisory Board in 2009-2010. The finding aid was prepared for encoding by Jen Bingham.

College of Architecture, Office of the Dean
2010 July 19
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Clemson University Libraries Special Collections and Archives Repository

230 Kappa St.
Clemson SC 29634 U.S.A. US